Thursday, August 5, 2010

M-i-c-k-e-y M-o-u-s-e

A month or so ago, a friend of mine asked me to make Disney shirts for her kids (a boy and a girl) so they could wear them on an upcoming trip to Disney World. I wanted the shirts to look classic and not goofy (no pun intended) so I chose to use the iconic Mickey Mouse head and ears as the main focus and tailor them to each child.

I found a silhouette of Mickey's head by googling "Mickey Mouse Head" (brilliant, right?) and a bunch of different images popped up. I also found styles of crowns for a boy and a girl for on top of Mickey and Minnie's heads. Next, I traced the images onto fabric, attached some fusible webing to the back, and ironed the silhouettes of the heads and crowns onto the shirts. I then used a zig-zag stitch all the way around to secure the applique.

To finish, I set my sewing machine's stitch length and width to a low setting and attempted to embroider the kids' names to their shirts in a "Disney-style" lettering. Let me tell you, this was not an easy task since I don't have an embroidery foot plus I have no experience embroidering so the names didn't turn out exactly how I wanted them (perfectionist side coming out.) Looking back I would have used freezer paper stenciling to stencil the names onto the shirts, however I hadn't heard about this method at the time so I did what I knew. Or in reality didn't know :P Live and learn right?

Anyways, here they are!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails