Friday, August 19, 2011

Sail Away Dress Sew-Along: Day 5


Today is the last day of the Sail Away Dress Sew-Along! I hope you've had fun sewing with me :) After yesterday's post, your dress should be finished. Today's post is all about making the sash to go with it.

For the sash, you need some fabric from one of your button down shirts - I used one of the sleeves - and a couple lengths of knit fabric, which I cut from an old t-shirt.


Step 1: Make your main piece.

First, measure your child around their waist where the sash will sit (no need to add any extra to the measurement.) Cut a strip of fabric this length by 4 inches wide (and hopefully your fabric won't be as wrinkled as mine because you'll iron yours like I should have :)




Fold your rectangle in half with the right sides together and press.




Sew down the long side to make a tube.





Next, press your seam to the middle. Do this by moving the long side you just sewed so that it's in the center of your tube, then iron down. Turn your tube right side out.




Next, tuck your open ends inside of your tube and press.




Step 2: Attach your ties.

 Cut 2 pieces of knit fabric each approximately 20 inches long and 1 inch wide. I cut my pieces from an old t-shirt. There's no need to hem any of the ends because knits don't fray - love that!




Tuck one end inside of your tube and topstitch 1/4 inch from the edge...





And that's it!




A great little dress for the last warm days of summer. You could even pair it with a long sleeve shirt and some leggings for when the weather gets cooler.





But let's not think about cold weather yet.




Let's savor the warm weather while we have it. Which, for Tennessee, is until about October so I guess my little cutie will be getting a lot of wear out of this dress!



Thanks for sewing along with me! 

If you make a Sail Away Dress I'd love to see it! Please email me at myownroad(at)yahoo(dot)com!

3 comments:

  1. So wish I had the time to do the sew along this week but it just didn't happen. Next time! I stopped by to tell you that I gave you the Happy 101 Blogger Award! You can check it out here: http://buzzycreations.blogspot.com/2011/08/happy-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute dress! I would love it if you would come link up to my link party! http://mommybydaycrafterbynight.blogspot.com/2011/08/ta-da-tuesday-link-party-1.html

    xoxo, Ashley J @ mommybydaycrafterbynight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen, sorry but I could not find your email here.

    I was offered this Versatile Blog Award from Rikka (http://ricochetandaway.blogspot.com/2011/08/versitile-blogger-award.html)

    You are getting this message, becaue I think what you do is great and I look up to you. Please take a look and let me know if you would be willing to play along if I were to nominate you.
    Thank you so very much for your time

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails